James Meredith’s Walk for Education and Truth reaches Jackson June 10-13
James H. Meredith, who integrated Ole Miss on September 30, 1962, accompanied by a small group of walkers launched a historic walk from the Tennessee/Mississippi state line Saturday May 25, 2012 at 10 am on Highway 51. The message for The Walk for Education and Truth is listed below:
1. Only the family of God can solve the problems of our time.
2. The Bible says, “You should train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
3. The African proverb says, “It takes a whole community to raise a child.”
4. God’s plan is that every church in Mississippi should take responsibility for every child born within two miles of the church.
5. The church should keep a record of each child from birth to age 21.
Everyone is welcome to join the walk. Meredith extended a special invitation to women over 65, veterans, and Ole Miss students and alumni.
June 10 the walk will begin at the Canton, MS city limit sign at 4 p.m. on Hwy 51 N.
June 11 the walk will begin in Madison on Hwy 51 in front of Krogers at 4 pm
June 12 the walk will begin in Tougaloo at County Line Rd and State Street at 4 p.m.
June 13 the walk will begin at 4 pm in Jackson in the Fondren District at Duling School on State St. and will end at the Old State Capital on Street St.